• 2127阅读
  • 2回复

[大洋洲]2017 Bougainville Independence Referendum [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题

只看楼主 倒序阅读 0 发表于: 2015-01-11
PNG, Bougainville Independence Referendum Guaranteed By Law
President affirms process, but voter turnout needs to be addressed

By Anthony Kaybing

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, July 11, 2014) – The right for Bougainville to hold its referendum to determine its political future is enshrined in the Bougainville Peace Agreement, protected by the PNG Constitution and Bougainville Constitution.

Autonomous Bougainville Government President John Momis made this statement yesterday amidst claims of him being against Bougainville’s referendum.

"We Bougainvilleans fought for the right to make a free and democratic choice about our political future. The price was the blood of many and the hard work of many others. No one can take that right from us," Mr Momis said.

"A few weeks ago I said that Bougainville is not yet ready for the referendum. That statement has been wrongly understood by some people so I must make it completely clear that I am not against referendum, in fact I completely support the right of our people to choose their future.

"The concern I was expressing is that the outcome of the referendum will depend on how well we prepare. If we do not work to prepare properly the referendum will not achieve what we want."

One issue which the President outlined as a major concern was poor voter turnout which is evident in Bougainville elections since 2002 where the voter turnout has been less than 50 percent.

He said that if voter turnout for the referendum is also less than 50 percent then even if most people vote for independence, the international community could say that the result does not reflect the wishes of the majority.

Mr Momis said one of the vital things to do now is to ensure that the common roll is accurate so as to allow as many people as possible to vote during the referendum and the ABG elections in 2015 and national general elections in 2017.

"Another important issue we have to consider is that if weapons are not secured and if law and order is bad thenthese disrupt the referendum campaigning and voting," he said.

http://pidp.eastwestcenter.org/pireport/2014/July/07-11-04.htm
全世界有197个国家
aaa
只看该作者 1 发表于: 2015-01-11
如果划给所罗门群岛,也没这么多事了。。。。
I don't care who you are
Where you're from
What you did
As long as you love me
只看该作者 2 发表于: 2015-01-11
布干维尔2017年,新喀里多尼亚呢?
快速回复